1. IEEE Student Branch Mr Jinu Baby ECE
2. IEEE PES Ms Sandhya P,. EED
3. IEEE RAS Mr Shiras A.N,. ECE
4. IEEE SP Ms. Deepa P.L, ECE
5. IEEE Sight Ms. Ann Mary Alex, ECE
6.IEEE WiE faculty advisor – Ann Mary Alex, ECE
7. IEEE EMBS Dr. Lani Rachel Mathew, ECE
8. IEEE CS faculty advisor- Lino Zachariah
Webinar on Richard E Merwin Scholorship
IEEE Computer Society MBCET SB conducted a Webinar on Richard E Merwin Scholarship on April 7,2021.The session was handled by 2 of the Richard E Merwin Scholars- Mr. Akash Nair who is a 4th year Computer Science Engineering student at College of Engineering Adoor, who won the scholarship in April 2020 and Ms. Anagha N , third year Computer Engineering student at Govt College of Engineering Kannur who won the scholarship in September 2020.
Mr.Adinath, Computer Society Chairperson began the event with a welcome speech. Akash Nair explained the criteria needed for applying for the scholarship. The detailed specifications on each of the steps helped the participants to get a clear idea about the procedures. Ms.Anagha shared her inspiring journey towards winning the scholarship. This was followed by a doubt clearance session.
Ms. Karthika, Secretary Computer Society concluded the session with vote of thanks. This orientation helped the participants to get a clear idea about the scholarship.
The Women in Engineering (WIE) affinity group of IEEE MBCET held a talk on Women Empowerment on 5 February 2016.The talk was given by Ms Rina Vivekanandhan on 10 March 2016 from 11:15pm to 12:30pm. There were around 80 students in total from all the branches in the college. The talk started with an introduction into the activities of WIE IEEE by Bincy Susan Thomas, Chairperson of WIE. Then on, Ms Rina Vivekanandhan spoke about her views on women empowerment engaging the audience with her work life as an operations head and later on as a successful entrepreneur. She spoke about her experiences as the Chairperson of IWN Kerala and the hurdles faced while spearheading a company like Sinura health care solutions. She also engaged in an interactive session and answered the queries raised.
A 2 day workshop on Arduino was conducted on the 13th and 14th of February at the college. Various commands and circuits were familiarised to the participants. The participants consisted mostly of first years and a few second years from the college.
The Annual General Body Meeting of Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology was held on 1st March 2016 at the college. The main purpose of the event was to present an annual report on the various activities that took place under the IEEE MBCET SB during the year 2015-16 and to allocate the various posts in the Executive Committee to its new members.
All Kerala Young Scientist (AKYS) 2016 was conducted on 5th March, 2016, as an event of Crossroad 2016, the annual technical and cultural fest of the college. It is an intercollegiate event where first year students from various colleges of Kerala compete against each other for the title of All Kerala Young Scientist. AKYS is a flagship event of IEEE MBCET SB which focuses on bringing more first year students to the IEEE family and to provide and enhance networking among students from different colleges. Various rounds including written test, treasure hunt, product marketing and personal interview were conducted to test every participant and to select the young scientist from them.
ELECTROTHERMIA was yet another event conducted by the MBCET IEEE SB as a part of Crossroads.
A short term training program on Network Administration was started by the IEEE Computer Society of MBCET SB, covering the basics of networking. The course consists of lectures and lab sessions with hands on illustration of what was learned in the lectures. It consists of two sessions, session 1 & 2 covered in the even and odd semester respectively.
A Paper Presentation Competition was conducted from 21st July to 23rd of July in collaboration with IEEE COMNET hosted by the college. A total of 15 participants competed against each other and the event was judged by Mr. Nandan ( Former faculty at MBCET) and Ms. Yamuna. The Competition saw various interesting topics being presented with Smart Blood Bank, Automated Irrigation System, Parkinson’s Disease detector, Blind Navigator being a few of the many.
The Monthly Chairs Meet of IEEE Travancore Hub was conducted on the 31st of July. The meeting was a discussion ground for the problems faced by the student branches during event planning and conduction. The representatives from the colleges also talked about the IEEE events conducted at their respective colleges during the month of July.
A Workshop on Internet Of Things(IoT) was conducted during the month of July.
Events were also conducted in collaboration with IEDC. The last such event was conducted on 6th and 7th of August.
Women in engineering, WIE(IEEE)conducted a two day workshop on pic microcontroller on 29 th- 30th of october from 9:00 to 4:00pm.This was the first workshop conducted by WIE.The workshop was open to students from s3&s5. IEEE staff coordinator Mr.Anoop. K. Johnson welcomed the students to the workshop. The session was handled by senior students Naveen .S and Abhinand .S of s7 EC. They introduced the students into the world of pic and sooner were guided to work with the microcontroller.By the end of the workshop, certificates of participation was distributed. This was surely a right opportunity to encourage students to learn and build innovative ideas and thats how a true engineer is born.
MBCET IEEE SB conducted a two day workshop on Android App Development on 12 th- 13th of November from 9:00 to 4:00pm.The workshop was open to students from all semesters of all branches. The MBCET IEEE Chairman Sreehari of s7 welcomed the students and the faculties.Around 50 students participated in the workshop. The session was handled by Mr.Sanju Mathew and Mr.Michael .They introduced the students into the world of Android and sooner were guided to work with the Android Studio. The main coordinators of the event was Anju Sivanandan and Joel of S3.This was the first event organized by s3 IEEE members.
Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
Keeping this in mind, CONVENTUS 2015 was organised by IEEE MBCET Student Branch on 25th and 26th July 2015. CONVENTUS is the annual Travancore Hub Meet for the students of Travancore Hub, IEEE Kerala Section. It was a 2 day event that brought technology, fun and togetherness to a new level.
The event was inaugurated by Mr. Harish C. S., Deputy Director, Human Spaceflight Program, ISRO. Dr. T. M. George, principal of the college presided over the function. The special guest of the event was Mr. Koruthu P. Varghese, Head of Clinical Department, SCTIMST and Chair, IEEE EMBS Society. Mr. Jithin Krishnan, Treasurer IEEE Kerala Section also attended the event.
The Event brought together students from various colleges in Trivandrum, Kollam and Pathanamthitta. About 300 Students from 15 different colleges participated in this event.
A number of workshops were organised, including Arduino, Raspberry pi, Robotics, Photoshop and MATLAB. The workshops received overwhelming and enthusiastic participation from all the students.
Workshop on Photoshop: Touch up the edges, adjust the tones, blur out the background, focus on yourself, and crop people out. Photoshop enables to improve the creative skills of an individual.
Workshop on Matlab and Labview: The fourth generation Programming Language, Matrix Laboratory (MATLAB) focuses on Matrix multiplications, creation of user interfaces and interfacing with programs written in C, C++ languages with ease. An introduction to Labview and interfacing of devices using Labview were also given to the participants.
Workshop on Raspberry pi: An Encapsulate version of single board computers, Raspberry pi is a low cost, basic computer that intends to help spur interest in computing, making it all the more fun for students. It is believed to be an ideal product to jumpstart computing in developing world.
Workshop on Robotics: Robotics workshop focuses on empowering students with the capability of understanding and using microcontrollers and basic autonomous robotics. The learning and training will enable them to implement the knowledge and resources in their future projects and day to day life.
Workshop on Arduino: It is a tool for making computers that can sense and control more of physical world than the desktop computer. It is used to develop interactive projects that can stand alone or can communicate with software running on computers.
A talk about Rocket Science was delivered by Mr Anoop Raj, Engineer SD, CASG, ISRO which provided an eye-opening insight into the developments of space exploration and was very well appreciated.
To prove that all tech fests weren’t just about workshops, there was also a persona event ‘The King and Queen of CONVENTUS’, witnessing a surprising number of students competing to complete the various tasks presented before them.
CONVENTUS bridged geographical boundaries and provided additional opportunities for IEEE members, volunteers and staff to communicate with each other. It was indeed a wonderful experience.
- IEEE Student Branch of MBCET organizes various events every year and continues to be one among the most vibrant branches in Kerala Section.
- Shrieeek – 2013 a 1 day technical symposium conducted on 20th January 2013, by IEEE Student branch of MBCET for the 1stand 2 nd year students of the college. 48 students attended the event.
- KITeS – 2012 (Kerala IEEE Technical Symposium), a 2 day technical symposium conducted on 23rd and 24th June 2012, as a joint venture of all the IEEE student chapters in Kerala Section. The formal inauguration was done by Mr. Satish Babu, IEEE chair, Kerala section, presidential address by Prof. S Viswanatha Rao and felicitation by Dr.Sakuntala S Pillai and Ms. Mini Ullanat (IEEE student activity chair, Kerala section). Various workshops were conducted during this event: More than 300 students from various colleges all over Kerala have attended the event. The event on the day was concluded with a cultural night by the students of MBCET followed by dinner.
- “Embedded Systems and Robotics” by SSTS Corporation.
- “MATLAB & Simulink” by Grey technologies.
- “Enterprise & Cyber Security” by Mr. Manu Zacharia.
- “Python Workshop” by Mr. Kenneth Gonsalves.
- All Kerala Young Scientist (AKYS) – a state level competition by MBCET student branch is one of the most prestigious events started and organized by IEEE MBCET for IEEE Kerala Section.
- IEEE Student Branch of MBCET conducts Technical talks every fortnight which aims to develop technical and presentation skills of students.
- Deepthy Anna George (Computer Science Engineering) Chair, IEEE Computer Society of MBCET won the prestigious Richard E Merwin Scholarship of IEEE Region 10 Asia Pacific during 2012.
- Achala J S, (Civil Engineering), Chair IEEE Student Branch, MBCET won the Best WIE Volunteer Award of IEEE Kerala Section in the year 2012. She represented IEEE Kerala Section’s LINK HTC project “Electrification of Karukone village in Kollam”. She was the LINK Treasurer for the year 2011.
- Dainy Daynesious (Electronics & Communication Engineering) won the IEEE Kerala Section Award in the year 2012 for the LINK Sustainability and HUB1 Reactivation Initiative. She was the Assistant Hub driver for the year 2011.
- The first ever IEEE Kerala section GOLD Congress in the history of IEEE Kerala section was held on 26th February 2011 at MBCET.
- IEEE Student Branch of MBCET won the Best student Branch award in the year 2008 under IEEE Kerala Section. It was awarded to our student branch for their innovative ideas and commendable activities as a student branch.