Social Serive Organisation of Department of Electronics and Communications Engineering (SPANDANAM)
The Social Service Wing of the Department of Electronics and Communication has been christened “Spandanam”.
- As part of the spandanam activity, bags were distributed to the needy children, at Sacred Heart Malankara Catholic Church, Kallayam, on 31 July 2022.
- Faculty representatives (Dr. M.J. Jayashree, Ms. Teena Rajan, Ms. Anu Susan Philip, Ms. Salga Ann Jacob, and student representatives (Joshin Samuel and Jobin J., S8 EC2) from the department of ECE, distributed school bags, umbrellas and instrument boxes to the children, at Pappala near Kilimanoor, on 21 May 2022.
- As part of the SPANDANAM (Social service wing of Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering) activity, the team comprising Dr. M.J. Jayashree, Prof., Dept. of ECE, along with Sri. D. Joykutty, Sr. Office Assistant, distributed food to the needy patients and their bystanders at Thiruvananthapuram Govt. Medical College, on 14 March, 2022, at 5 pm.
- Faculty from the department of ECE contributed towards donating lungis and towels, to the inmates of ‘Sneha Veedu’ near Nalanchira, on 23 December 2021.
- As part of the SPANDANAM activity, faculty from the Department of ECE contributed towards donating 2 normal wheelchairs and one commode wheelchair, to MIND (Mobility In Dystrophy) Trust. MIND Trust formed in 2017 is a non-governmental organisation working to promote and raise awareness in the areas of education, employment opportunities, and rehabilitation of individuals with physical disabilities, such as muscular dystrophy and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA).
- As part of the SPANDANAM activity, faculty representatives from the Department of ECE (Ms. Teena Rajan, Ms. Luxy Mathews and Mr. Anoop K. Johnson) visited the Central Institute on Mental Retardation (CIMR – A national Level NGO in India), Murinjapalam, Trivandrum, on 19th February 2021 and handed over stationary items and toys, to facilitate the teaching – learning process in CIMR.
- In association with Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) cell, MBCET, SPANDANAM distributed masks and sanitizers to the students of Government Boys High School, Kanniakulangara, on 6th January 2021.
- As part of the SPANDANAM activity, student representatives from S3 EC2 (Alenso Rooby and Aswen A.M.), Ms. Teena Rajan, and Mr. Anoop K. Johnson, Assistant Professors in the department of ECE, visited Mrs. Radha’s house at Nalanchira on 18th December 2020. She belongs to a poor family and is suffering from acute diabetes. Rs. 5000 has been donated for her treatment purpose.
- On 3rd October 2020, SPANDANAM took the initiative to provide essential commodity kit to Mr. Shivakumar’s family residing at Thiruvallom. Mr. Shivakumar, the only earning member in the family, met with an accident, and the family was struggling to make ends meet.
- A talk by Aswathy Nair, Founder of Jwala Foundation, an NGO that provides food and shelter for the needy had been organised on 6 March 2020 for ECE students.
- Staff members and students visited the Shalom Special School for mentally challenged situated in the village of Vembayam, Kaniyapuram block, Thiruvananthapuram district on 23 November 2019. The team spent half day with the inmates of the school, engaging them with entertainment programs and interactive games.
- Spandanam team, in association with UBA (Unnath Bharat Abhiyan) cell visited St. John’s Medical Village, Pirappancode, on 2 October 2019. They took surveys on education, health sanitation, electricity, etc, and elucidated why plastic eradication is the need of the hour.
- Staff members and students visited Snehabhavan near Kattakada on 19 January 2019 and handed over few immediate requirements for the inmates.
- Staff members of ECE department purchased and distributed onam kits for around 12 needy families in and around Kilimanoor, Trivandrum. The kits were distributed on August 18th, 2018 by the staff members of the department.
- Spandanam organized a collection drive for the flood affected under the #DoforKerala campaign. The staff and students of the Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering pooled in flood relief materials worth Rs. 25000/- and gave it to the collection centre at B-hub, Mar Ivanios Vidya Nagar, Trivandrum which was then transported to the collection centre under the District Administration.
- Staff members of ECE department collected and handed over an amount to the Devaki Warrier Memorial Women’s Studies & Empowerment entre, where free accommodation and food was provided for cancer patients on February 18th, 2018.
- Dr. Bipin T. Varghese, Surgeon, Regional Cancer Centre rendered a talk on cancer awareness on 31st January 2018.
- Students of S6 EC1 sponsored a one day meal for the inmates of Kerala State Council for Child Welfare on 23rd December 2017.
- Faculty and students of EC department joined the community outreach program for the welfare of children at Poonthura, a rural coastal area in Trivandrum organized by Worldvision along with MBCET on 18th February 2017.
- Spandanam members distributed meals at Medical college with the help of Mr. D. Joykutty.
- Faculty and students of EC Department visited the inmates of “Unity House” and took classes on various subjects like Physics, Chemistry, History, Maths etc. on 24thAugust 2016.
- Faculty and students of EC department visited the inmates of “Unity House” and took classes on jewellery making and handicrafts on 28 August 2016.
- Faculty of ECE Dept. visited the inmates of “Snehaveedu” and distributed House hold items on May, 2016. This was organized by the department social service wing Spandanam.
- Spandanam members visited families at Karette and donated Onam kits to the families in September 2016.
- The staff of EC department visited the inmates of Unity House, Chittazha on May 30, 2015 and Ananthashayi Balasadanam, Trivandrum on August 21st 2015.
Faculty and students of EC department joined the community outreach program for the welfare of children at Poonthura, a rural coastal area in Trivandrum organized by Worldvision along with MBCET on 18th February 2017.
Spandanam members distributed meals at Medical college with the help of Sri. D. Joykutty.
Spandanam members visited families at Karette and donated Onam kits to the families in September 2016.
Faculty and students of EC department visited the inmates of “Unity House” and took classes on jewellery making and handicrafts on 28th August 2016.
Faculty and students of EC Department visited the inmates of “Unity House” and took classes on various subjects like Physics, Chemistry, History, Maths etc. on 24th August 2016.