Workshops & Seminars
The Department of Electronics and Communication is very active in conducting seminars, conferences and workshops for the benefit of faculty and students. Faculty is encouraged to participate in such activities organized by other institutions also.
Workshops/ Seminar/Conferences organized by Faculty
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology, Trivandrum conducted a Short Term Training Programme on Deep Learning and IoT Applications using MATLAB (DIAM’19) from January 21st to 25th 2019. The topics covered were Image Processing Applications, MATLAB and ThingSpeak for IoT, Xilinx and Deep Learning with a focus on Signal Processing Applications. Resource persons from CoreEL Technologies, MBCET AI team, faculty from the Department of ECE handled the sessions.
INDUSTRY 4.0 Towards Embedded Future
We stand on the verge of a new age technological revolution that will alter the fundamental way we think, act, relate and communicate. The buzz is around Mobile Supercomputing, Intelligent robots, Self-driving cars, Neuro-technological brain enhancements, Genome editing and its business disruptions.
The evidence of dramatic change is all around us and its happening at exponential speed. The key is to up-skill and re-skill relentlessly to stay relevant in the futuristic world.
With this objective in mind, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering in association with The Catalyst- Mar Baselios Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (IEDC) organized a five-day workshop on embedded and futuristic technologies that are spearheading the wave of Fourth Industrial Revolution.
45 faculty members from various engineering as well as polytechnic colleges acrossthe state participated in the 5-day event. The event was coordinated by Ms. Anu Susan Philip and Mr. Arun J. S, Assistant professors in Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering. B’ hub and Destination Kerala associated as Knowledge and Magazine partners respectively.
During the inaugural session, Head of the Department, Dr. M. J. Jayashree delivered the welcome speechfor the participants in the presence of Bursar Fr. John Vilayil, Principal Dr. T. M. George and Vice Principal Prof. S. Viswanatha Rao. She introduced the objective of the event and also mentioned the importance of adapting with the technological changes so as to stay relevant in the era of fourth industrial revolution.
The idea of the whole event was to create a solid exposure in the emerging futuristic technologies which will drive the interest of academia from novice to expert level. The contents were organized top-down where we start with a use case and develop it downwards into its technical details, which turned out to be a very effective model to entice the audience. While Dr.Dilip Thomas brought in an absolute revelation in convolutional neural networks and how AI is going to dominate so many existing jobs very soon, Mr. Jeril depicted how virtual reality is becoming a parallel reality which enables mankind to physically interactwith digital information. Mr. Senthil Kumar delivered a splendid session on his transformational journey from employee to entrepreneur. The way he crafted a solution for his pregnant sister’s vital statistics measurement and made the doctor to diagnose remotely was very inspiring. He also delivered an incredible activity-oriented session where he made participants to enact as the basic elements of an IoT network, which created absolute clarity regarding the backend operation. The CTO incubations team from the Innovation lab of Tata Consultancy Services engaged the audience with their live drone session and RADA-the robot that uses AI to assist customers, address their queries and entertain them which isdeployed by the team in Delhi International airport. Mr. Jithin Krishnan gave an insight on the assistive implants and the possibilities &revolution that is going to happen with the convergence of medical and engineering streams.
The sessions concluded on 20 July 2018 with the valedictory session presided by Vice Principal of MBCET, Prof. S. Viswanatha Rao. He also gave away the participants certificate along with Dr. M. J. Jayashree.
- The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology, Trivandrum in association with IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (IEEE APS) conducted a workshop on “Towards 5G – Technologies and Challenges” from December 18th – December 22nd, 2017.
IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Systems on 20th and 21st Dec 2017
IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Systems (ICCS 2017) organized by IEEE Circuits and Systems Society (CASS) India chapter in association with IEEE India Council was conducted successfully at the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram during 20th and 21st December 2017.
The inaugural function was held on 20th December 2017 at 9: 30 am. Dr. Jayakumari J., Chair, IEEE CASS India chapter welcomed the gathering. The Conference was inaugurated by Dr. K. Giridhar, Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering. Indian Institute of Technology Madras. Dr. Rominus Valsalam, Former Director, Electronics Research and Development Centre of India Institute of Technology, Thiruvananthapuram delivered the Chief Guest address. Dr. T. M. George, Principal, Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram released the ICCS 2017 Conference Proceedings.
On 20th December 2017, Dr. K. Giridhar, delivered a keynote address on the topic “How will 5G be useful to India” and Er. T. Ananthavelavan, Principal Engineer, Microchip, Chennai delivered a keynote address on the topic “Array Signal Processing – Adaptive Beamforming using array of MEMS microphones”. These keynote sessions were followed by technical paper presentations in 5 parallel sessions.
All the technical sessions were chaired by experts in the field. The conference received a good response from wide spectrum of scholars and there were four tracks-Communication & Networking, Signal Processing, VLSI & Embedded Systems and Power & Energy Systems. On 21st December 2017, Dr. Saman Halgamuge, Professor and Director of Research School of Engineering, ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science, Australian National University delivered a keynote address on “Smart Mini Grids: Exploring Near Off-Grid Solutions” and Er. Sudalaimani C., Scientist D, Health and Software Technology Group, CDAC, Trivandrum delivered a keynote address on the topic “Brain Signal Processing and it’s applications”. These keynote sessions were followed by Technical paper presentations in 5 parallel sessions. Best paper Awards were constituted to recognize the best paper contributions received in various tracks for this event. The awards were based on general quality, originality, contributions, subject matter and timeliness. Totally four best papers were chosen for the award. The conference concluded with a valedictory function on 21st December 2017 at 3: 00 pm. Dr. Saman Halgamuge, delivered the valedictory address and distributed the Best Paper awards and certificates.
- Expert talk on Biomedical engineering Past, Present and Future by Mr. Arun K M , Research Scholar, SCTIMST was arranged by the Biomedical and Instrumentation Research group on 5th September 2016
- Communication Research Group conducted an Invited talk by Ms. Shanthi Ravindran (Business Development Manager, Motorola Solutions, Singapore) on “Growing role of software in telecom networks – Software is eating the world” on 8th August 2016
- The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering organized 2016 International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (ComNeT2016) during 21-23 July 2016 jointly with University of Dayton, USA, and was technically sponsored by IEEE.
The Conference was inaugurated on 21st July 2016 by Dr K Sivan, Director VSSC. This was followed by motivating addresses by Dr K Kesavasamy, Head, Academic Interface, TCS and Dr K Suresh Nair, Chair, IEEE Kerala Section.The Keynote Address was delivered by Dr. Vijayan K. Asari, Senior Member IEEE and Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Dayton on 22nd July 2016. In addition to the Keynote, there were four technical presentations by eminent personalities, Dr S. Raghavan, Professor, Dept. of ECE, NIT Trichy; Dr. Sriram N. Kizhakkemadam, Senior Chief Engineer, Samsung R&D Institute, Bangalore; Dr. Krishnaraj M. Varma, Senior Hardware Engineer, Qualcomm, USA, and Mr Raja Duraisamy, Solutions Architect, Telecommunications, Singapore.
The conference included a technical program with three parallel tracks in the areas of Communication Systems, Signal Processing & Networks. It attracted over 162 papers, which were meticulously reviewed and 47 papers were finally chosen for presentation in the conference. There were 14 sessions under 8 different themes.
- Department of ECE organized a Workshop on EDA Tools and Practice for Lab staff from 4/7/2016 to 11/7/2016. Topics covered during the workshop were: Introduction to PSPICE software, Matlab fundamentals, Introduction to DSP Kit, Familiarization of Labview Simulation, Introduction to digital design building blocks and technologies, importance of using HDL in digital circuit design and Steps in VHDL based design flow.
Programme Coordinator: Ms. Teena Rajan
Resource Persons: Ms. Lakshmy S., Ms. Athira V., Ms. Teena Rajan, Mr. Arun P. S, Ms. Deepa P. L.
- Three day “National Workshop on NS2”, organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 11 – 13 November, 2015.
Coordinators: Ms. Teena Rajan, Ms. Swapna P. S. , Mr. Shiras S. N.
- One week “National Workshop on Modelling and Simulation of Communication Systems (MSCS)”, organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 8 – 12 June, 2015
Coordinators: Ms. Swapna P.S., Ms Luxy Mathews, Mr. Niyas K Haneefa.
- “Ansys and Orcad Software Training” for the Technical Staff of the Department of Electronics and Communication, during 18 and 19 June, 2015.
Coordinator: Ms Luxy Mathews
- Two day “National Seminar on Emerging Wireless Communication Technologies (NSEWCT15)”, organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 12 – 13 March, 2015
Coordinators: Ms. Yamuna K. Moorthy, Ms. Jofina Jose, Mr. Jinu Baby
- Two day “National Workshop on VHDL Programming and Practices (WVPP2015)”, organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 30 – 31 January, 2015
Coordinators: Ms. Ancy S. Anselam, Ms. Lakshmy S., Ms. Lani Rachel Mathew
- “Introduction to PSpice” for the Technical Staff of the Department of Electronics and Communication, during 3rd to 5th November 2014.
Coordinator: Ms Lakshmy S.
- Two week ISTE workshop on signal and systems, organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 2 – 12 January 2014
Coordinator: Mr. Nandan S.
- Two day “Introduction to Xilinx” organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 18th to 19th December, 2013
Coordinator: Ms.Luxy Mathews
- IEEE International conference on Green Technologies (ICGT12) jointly organized by MBCET and University of Dayton, USA during December 18 – 20, 2012. The parallel sessions addressed five major areas – Green Energy, Green Electron Devices & Green Communication, Green Computing & IT, Green Buildings and Green Mechanical Systems.
- One day “Workshop on Familiarization of MATLAB” organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, on 27th September 2012
Coordinators: Mr. Naveen S., Ms.Deepa P.
- One week “STTP on Digital Communication Systems” organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 4 – 8 June 2012
Coordinators: Ms.Jija Rajmohan, Ms. Lani Rachel Mathew
- One week “STTP on Image Processing with practical applications” organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 14 – 18 June 2010
Coordinator: Ms. Ancy S. Anselam
- Three day “Introduction to microcontrollers” organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, from 19 – 21 May 2010
Coordinator: Prof. S. Viswanatha Rao
- National Conference on Broadband Technologies during 27-28, March 2008. Mr. Kris Gopalakrishnan, CEO and MD of Infosys Technologies Pvt Ltd inaugurated the conference and delivered the keynote address.
Seminar/Conferences attended by Faculty
- Faculty Development Workshop on “Intel IoT and Ideation” held at Vidya Academy of Science and Technology on 15 -16 July 2016.
Staff Attended: Mr. Shiras S N, Mr. Anil Kumar
- Short term course on “Microelectronics: from fundamentals to Devices” at IIT Chennai from July 11 to July 16 2016
Staff Attended: Ms. Ann Mary Alex
- FDP on ‘Advances in Wireless Communications and Networking’ in NIT Calicut from July 11 to July 16.
Staff Attended: Mr. Niyas K. Haneefa
- FDP on ‘Digital Filter Design’ organized by Electronics & Communication, CET from 25th June to 30th June 2016.
Staff Attended: Ms. Teena Rajan, Ms. Anu Anna John and Ms. Lani Rachel Mathew
- NPTEL online course on Basic Tools of Microwave Engineering by IIT Kharagpur
Staff Attended: Ms.Anu R. G
- Four Week FDP on ”Use of ICT in Education for Online and Blended Learning” by IIT Bombay.
Staff Attended: Ms.Sreedevi, Ms.Anu R. G, Ms. Anu Susan Philip, Mr. Shiras S N
- AICTE sponsored QIP–STC on “Recent Trends in Development of Communication: Cognitive Networks” organized by Dept. of ECE, Pondicherry Engineering College from 30th November to 4th December 2015.
Staff attended: Ms. Yamuna K. Moorthy
- One day seminar on ”Making Kerala_inclusive and accessible for People with disabilities”held at kerala state Science and technology museum on 3rd December 2015.
Staff attended: Ms. Lani Rachel Mathew, Ms. Poorna R. Prabhu, Ms. Remya Annie Eapen, Mr. Shiras S. N.
- Two-Week ISTE “STTP on Technical Communication”, National Mission on Education through ICT (MHRD, Govt. of India), conducted by IIT Bombay at MBCET from October 8th, 2015 to December 5th, 2015.
Staff attended: Ms. Ancy S. Anselam, Ms. Anu Mariam John, Ms. Luxy Mathews, Ms. Swapna P. S
- Two day workshop on “FOSS & IoT – Faculty Development” organized by ICFOSS Technopark ,Trivandrum from 9th – 10 th October, 2015.
Staff attended: Ms. Ann Mary Alex, Ms. Anu Mariam John, Mr. Jinu Baby, Mr. Jubin James, Ms. Lakshmy S, Mr. Shiras S.N., Ms. Sreedevi P, Ms. Teena Rajan
- “Science Academies’ Lecture Workshop on Advances in Wireless Communications and Networking”, organized by Department of Electronics and Communication, Amal Jyothi College of Engineering, Kanjirappally, from 23 -24 July,2015.
Staff Attended: Ms. Yamuna K. Moorthy.
- “Two day Workshop on IC Design Flow using Mentor Graphics Tools and Vivado Design Flow Using Zed Board”, held at Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor, from 25- 26 June, 2015.
Staff Attended: Ms. Anu Mariam John.
- Invited talk by Prof S. Viswanatha Rao on the topic “Wireless Sensor Networks – Challenges and Opportunities”, STTP on Recent Advances in Wireless Communication at LBS Institute of Technology for Women, 10th June 2015.
- “Faculty Development Programme on Recent Advances in Nano science and Nanotechnology”, held at Amal Jyothi College of Engineering and Technology, Kanjirappally, from April 20 – May 1, 2015.
Staff Attended: Ms. Ann Mary Alex.
- “Faculty Development Program on Optical Engineering” under FDP scheme of TEQIP-II, organized by Government Engineering College, Barton Hill, Trivandrum, from 18- 20 March, 2015.
Staff Attended: Ms. Sreedevi P.
- “National Seminar on Emerging Wireless Communication Technologies (NSEWCT15)”, organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, held on 12th and 13th March, 2015.
Staff attended: Ms Luxy Mathews, Ms. Ancy S. Anselam, Ms. Swapna P.S, Ms. Anu Anna John, Ms. Yamuna K Moorthy, Mr. Nandan S., Mr. Arun P.S.
- “Two days National Workshop on VHDL Programming and Practices (WVPP2015)”, organized by Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, MBCET, held on 30th and 31st January, 2015.|
Staff attended: Ms Luxy Mathews, Ms. Ancy S. Anselam, Ms. Swapna P.S, Ms. Deepa P.L., Mr. Niyas K Haneefa, Ms. Ann Mary Alex, Ms. Yamuna K Moorthy, Ms. Remya Annie Eapen, Ms. Roshny G. Kumar, Ms. Lani Rachel Mathew and Ms. Lakshmy S.
- “Two weeks Workshop on Signals and Systems”, National Mission on Education through ICT (MHRD, Govt. of India), organized by IIT Kharagpur at MBCET, January 2nd , 2014 to January 12th , 2014.
Staff attended: Ms. Luxy Mathews, Ms. Swapna P.S, Mr. Niyas K Haneefa, Mr. Jinu Baby, Mr. Anoop K. Johnson, Mr. Arun P. S , Ms. Yamuna K Moorthy, Ms. Poorna R Prabhu, Ms. Athira V, Ms. Arathy C Haran V.
- Short Term Training Programme on “Computer vision and Image Processing” Sponsored by TEQIP- II, November 20 to 22, 2013, organized by LBS Institute of Technology for Women, Poojappura.
Staff attended: Ms. Deepa P. L., Ms. Teena Rajan, Mr. Anoop K. Johnson, Mr. Arun P. S.
- Invited talk by Prof. S. Viswanatha Rao on “Wireless Sensors: Opportunities and Challenges” at IEEE International Conference on Emerging Trends, NIT-Durgapur, 28th-30th Mar 2011.
To be a Centre of Excellence in Electronics and Communication Engineering Education and Research for the service of humanity.
To provide quality Engineering Education and to carry out Research in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering addressing the challenges faced by the society.