Research & Consultancy
The faculty members of the Department of Civil Engineering are undertaking research activities to bring the industry and the academics closer. The Department has been pioneering the research activities with the aid of funds received from various national and state level research institutions and funding agencies. The institution also funds the R&D projects internally for Departments in the form of in-house projects.
Externally Funded Projects
- Dr. Jisha S. V. and Dr. M. Satyakumar was sanctioned an amount of Rs.3,00,000/- from the Kerala State Council For Science Technology and Environment, Govt. of Kerala, for the project titled ‘Performance Evaluation of Ultra-thin White Topping Overlays’. Duration of the project is two years starting from November 2018.
- Dr. Jisha S. V. was sanctioned an amount of Rs. 63,000/- from the CERD, Govt. of Kerala, Research on the topic, ‘Seismic Soil Structure Interaction Response of Structures Subjected to Pounding’. Duration of the project is two years starting from December 2018.
- Dr. Neethu Roy was sanctioned an amount of Rs.27,99,500/- for the project titled ‘Influence of Polymer Dosage and Nature of Bitumen on the Microstructural and Rheological Characteristics of Polymer Modified Binders’ from the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), DST, Govt. of India. Duration of the project is one year starting from May 2018.
- Dr. Jayasree S. and Mr. Akhil Raj S. R. was sanctioned an amount of Rs.4,00,000/- for their project ‘Development of sustainable concrete using black liquor as admixtures’ from the Technology Development Adaptation Programme scheme of the Kerala State Council For Science Technology and Environment, Govt. of Kerala. Duration of the project is one year starting from February 2018.
- Ms. P. Muthulakshmi was sanctioned a fund of Rs. 37,000/- for the project “Zero Waste Kitchen – A new method for Kitchen waste management” from CERD, Govt. of Kerala. Duration of the project is six months starting from March 2017.
- Ms. Bindu Biju was sanctioned an amount of Rs.1,35,000/- from CERD, Govt. of Kerala, Research on the topic “Flexural Behaviour of RC beams retrofitted with ultra-high performance steel fibre reinforced concrete”. Duration of the project is three years, starting from March 2017.
- Dr. Jayasree S. and Ms. Tisny D. B. was sanctioned an amount of Rs.12,05,387/- from Kerala State Council For Science Technology and Environment, Govt. of Kerala, for research work on “Corrosion Resistance of Blended Cement Concrete using Recycled Concrete Aggregates”. Duration of the project is one year starting from 2012.
Internally Funded Projects
- Ms. Anupama Krishnan and Prof. P.N. Mohan was sanctioned an amount of Rs. 55,000/ – for the in-house project on ‘Correlation of Resilient Modulus and Marshall Stability Value of Bituminous mixes’. Duration of the project is one year starting from November 2018.
- Ms. Parvathy U. was sanctioned an amount of RS. 70,000/- for the in-house project on ‘Mechanical Behaviour of ECC Encased Steel Composite Columns’. Duration of the project is one year starting from November 2018.
- Ms. Rintu Johnson and Ms. Anita A. was sanctioned an amount of Rs. 75,000/- for the in-house project on ‘Characterization of Flood Sediments’. Duration of the project is one year starting from November 2018.
- Ann George and Ms. Athira I. C. was sanctioned an amount of Rs. 55,000/- for the in-house project Investigations on Coconut Shell Modified Interlocking Concrete Paver Blocks. (2017-2018). Duration of the project is 16 months, starting from November 2017.
- Jisha S. V. was sanctioned an amount of Rs. 10,000/- for the in-house project on Dynamic Response on Buildings Considering the Flexibility of Soil. Duration of the project is 18 months, starting from November 2017.
- Ms. Jaya S Pillai was sanctioned an amount of Rs. 90,000/- for the in-house project tilled ‘Decentralized Wastewater Treatment using Subsurface Flow Constructed Wetlands: An Eco-San Approach’. Duration of the project is 16 months, starting from November 2017.
Faculty Pursuing Research
- Ms. Lekshmi Chandran M is pursuing research in the topic “Study to Evaluate Performance of Coir Composites for Ground Vibration Isolation”
- Ms. Jaya S Pillai is pursuing research on the topic “Constructed Wetlands using Indigenous Plant Species as De-Centralized Eco-San Systems”
The Department of Civil Engineering with its strong and dedicated faculty group, takes up consultancy activities in the various streams of civil engineering. Over the years the Department has been instrumental in taking part in various prestigious projects through which the Department has built a strong rapport with the industry. Some of the major clients and consultancy works taken up by the Department are as follows.
- Testing samples for Kerala Public Works Department
- Architectural and Structural Design of Men’s hostel of MBCET
- Structural design of ladies hostel of MBCET
- Rain Water Harvesting Scheme at MBCET
- Testing on soil samples from rain water harvesting project, MBCET
- Material Testing for SI Properties
- Various testing on soil samples supplied by Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
- River bank mapping of Karamana River for the Revenue Department, Govt. of Kerala.
- Southern Railway
- SERMS Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd.
- Nikunjam Orient
- M/s Mailhem Engg Pvt. Ltd.
- National Coir Research and Management Institute, Trivandrum.
- M/S Harrisons Malayalam Ltd.
- Repair works of survey instruments
- Maloos Constructions
- Soil investigation for RTF Infra
- Sanroyal Builders and Contractors Pvt. Ltd.
- Various other private companies and institutions.
The area of expertise of faculty includes:
|Name of Faculty Member||Area of Expertise|
|Dr. M. Satyakumar||Transportation Engineering
Pavement Management System
|Prof. P. N. Mohan||Transportation Engineering
|Prof. P. S. Arabham||Design and execute functional requirements of various kinds of sustainable buildings|
|Dr. Neethu Roy||Bituminous Pavement Material Characterization
Pavement Condition and Performance Evaluation
|Dr. Jayasree S||Concrete Mix design
Structural Stability Analysis
Structural Analysis and Design
|Ms. Bindu Biju||Concrete Technology
Design of RCC Structures
|Ms. Ann George||Traffic Engineering
|Ms. Tisny D. B.||Structural Design of RCC Structures
|Ms. P. Muthulekshmi||Water Quality Analysis|
|Ms. Jean Molly Simon||Concrete Testing
|Ms. Lekshmi Chandran||Soil Characterization
|Ms. Anupama Krishnan||Soil Characterization
|Ms. Parvathy U||Structural Design
|Mr. Tom George||Dynamic Analysis
Structural Analysis and Design of Steel Structures
|Ms. Sherin Mathew||Structural Analysis and Design
|Mr. Akhil Raj S. R.||Structural Analysis and Design
Concrete Mix Design
|Ms. Jaya S Pillai||Water Quality Analysis|
|Ms. Linda Jose||Water Quality Analysis|
|Ms. Anitha A||Soil Characterization
|Ms. Aneena Babu||Design of Bridges
Structural Analysis and Design
|Dr. Jisha S. V||Structural Analysis and Design
Finite Element Analysis
Soil Structure Interaction
|Ms. Rintu Johnson||Soil Characterization
|Ms. Nimisha Anna Jacob||Water Quality Analysis|
|Ms. Smrithi Cheriyath||Structural Analysis and Design
Finite Element Analysis
|Dr. Senthil Kumar R||Wave Structural Interaction|
|Ms. Akhila A. M||Estimation and Costing
Execution of Residential Projects
To be a Centre of Excellence in Civil Engineering education with a global perspective, creating ethically strong engineers for the service of society.
To provide Engineering Education which can create exemplary professional Civil Engineers of high ethics with strong conceptual foundation coupled with practical insight, to serve the industry and community.